A homegrown heart is one that longs to sleep with the windows open. One that longs to smell the fresh cut fields, Ride in the afternoon - bareback, and barfoot. A homegrown heart likes to turn the music up, grow something, talk to God and wear boots, because they are better. These hearts go fishing, play with dogs and play with horses. Homegrown hearts give it their all, everytime. They are true to themselves, and true to those around them. They have deep roots. But more important, a homegrown heart LOVES WITH ALL ITS STRENGTH.








Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A letter I wrote for my confirmation class...

Being the good little Catholic (dont laugh) that I am... I was a mentor for this year's high school aged kids going through confirmation classes.  I wrote them this letter and gave them each a gift after the ceremony, and today I found it again and read through it.  I think it is important to share it here...


May 12, 2011

Ok, today is the day.  What does it mean?  We have been going to classes all year, and now it’s finally time!  But seriously… confirmation?  What is going to happen?  What will tomorrow feel like?

Honestly, you will probably wake up tomorrow, and feel exactly the same.  You will go to school, eat lunch, go to your sport practice, or do homework.  But I promise, something will be different.

I have gifted each of you with a real sand dollar.  The prayer on the postcard gives you all the cool information on the symbolism of the sand dollar.  Read it.  Think about it.  Pray about it.  The story of Christ’s wounds and death are on the sand dollar.  But more important is what is inside! 

Inside each one, there are little bones that are shaped like doves.  They are there.  Trust me.  Just like the HOLY SPIRIT inside each of you.  When you were baptized, God planted his SPIRIT inside your body, just like he planted these little bones inside the sand dollar. (Amazing really).  During Confirmation, that SPIRIT is MAGNIFIED! 

Confirmation is the final step.  You are all fully Catholic. You are in communion with the Church, and also, God has set you forth as of this day to spread his SPIRIT.  Trust me, it’s in there!  Trust me, it will magnify! Just like a drop of water, it will soon flow into a river, and then the ocean – Huge and Powerful!  So the SPIRIT will grow in you, ever flowing, ever changing, ever MAGNIFYING.
You may not feel it today, or tomorrow, or even a year from now.  Let it grow!  Believe that those little doves are inside you, and let them take flight!

I am so proud of you!  I know that each of you will grow to live lives with purpose, and love, and SPIRIT. 

Let God in, and don’t shut him out.  Let the little doves fly inside you, and don’t cage them.  Be who God made you to be, and Enjoy your journey!

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Liz! They were lucky to have you as their mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you Nichole! I did my best! :)

    ReplyDelete