A homegrown heart is one that longs to sleep with the windows open. One that longs to smell the fresh cut fields, Ride in the afternoon - bareback, and barfoot. A homegrown heart likes to turn the music up, grow something, talk to God and wear boots, because they are better. These hearts go fishing, play with dogs and play with horses. Homegrown hearts give it their all, everytime. They are true to themselves, and true to those around them. They have deep roots. But more important, a homegrown heart LOVES WITH ALL ITS STRENGTH.








Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quiet Mornings are my Favorite time of the Day...

After a night that is all too short, and often too cold for comfort, even with a cow hide on the bed, my alarm clock never gives me a break.  I'm up too early, every day, and it seems to be getting harder and harder.  My coffee pot broke (thats what you get for paying $9.89 at walmart for a coffee pot) and even if it did work, it doesn't have a timer on it to make the coffee for me to greet me when I get up.  Nope.  Nothing that fancy.  So the routine is getting old, but there are horses in the barn.

So it usually goes like this:  Alarm goes off, I hit snooze, and then it goes off again.  So I flip the light on, and wait for my brain to wake up.  When it does, I jump up and get as many jackets and sweats on as I possible can, then muddy boots, and a treck out to the barn.  The good thing is, the lights work in the barn now, so I don't have to use the flashlight app on my cell phone.  And then my favorite part of the day...

William's stall is on the very very end, so when I get close enough to see inside the dark barn, I can see him standing there, sleeping.  He is always asleep, tired and groggy.  But when he hears me, he opens his eyes and perks up.  I go to him first, and hug him, at least until he has to pee, and then he does, and I move on to give Laredo a hug.  (by this time, Laredo is wide awake and peeking over the stall door to say good morning.)  Then I pack buckets of water, and I chuck in the hay that isn't great quality but gets the belly full.

And all too soon its six o'clock and I'm going to be late for work, so I have to leave the quiet barn with its sweet smell, dusty stalls, and ponies.  That moment though, when all is dark, and I can see my breath, and my big Thoroughbred wakes up... knowing I am the first person he sees, knowing how much he loves me - he tells me so with his morning nibbles and kisses... that is my favorite time of day, despite the chore of getting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment